Sunday, January 01, 2006

Adventures abound: New Years in Adventurepan

Happy New Years everyone!!

I’ve always liked New Years more than any other day we happen to celebrate. I really see it as a historical moment, both for the planet and for us personally. After all, it’s how we sequence world events and how we have been sequencing world events ever since we’ve been able to do it.

So as per SOP, last night was full of adventures.

This is Adventurepan for cryin’ outs.

I know I harp on Africans in Japan a lot, and all the naughty stuff they do here, but last night I got the opportunity to cruise around with a “connected” African. He’s a good friend of mine, and referred to himself as a “pseudo-African” who was born in Philadelphia and grew up in Egypt and Belgium, is a native speaker of Egyptian dialect and French, and speaks English as well as anyone I know.

I know I hate Roppongi and all, but I had a pretty good time with him.

I always get a kick out of being the only white guy in a bar.

We started off in Shibuya (as always) and drank a lot (as always). Get a load of this group of Good Time Charlies ushering in the New Year.



I have no idea who the guy in the Kangol hat is.

I dunno that girl either.

The magnum face was totally unplanned.

The fact that Craig and I were both wearing Guinness shirts was also unplanned.

Brilliance.

So at 5am Kevin the African and I drove to Roppongi. He’s a machine. He never sleeps. He’ll drink his ass off and dance around for 8 hours until 5am, then go work at a bar in Roppongi until noon. In any case, we bar hopped in Roppongi, trying to dodge outrageous cover charges for the New Year.

Rolling with a Connected African is good for dodging cover charges.

Here’s what I look like at 8:30am after drinking for 10 hours.



Not too shabby eh?

That’s what a white guy with a Roppongi ghetto pass looks like.

A real drunk one. At 8:30am.

Oh yeah.

Kevin actually drove me all the way home. He had a 2 hour drive ahead of him to meet his girlfriend at a hot springs. Never under estimate the kindness of friends.

Anyway, I hope everyone had an awesome time ushering in the New Year. The sky’s the limit for 2006!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"He’s a good friend of mine, and referred to himself as a “pseudo-African” who was born in Philadelphia and grew up in Egypt and Belgium, is a native speaker of Egyptian dialect and French, and speaks English as well as anyone I know."


At first I was like 'Why doesn't he call himself a "Pseudo-Egyptian?" And then I realized that Egypt is part of the African continent. I'm a genius.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Well, when he said it, he was talking to a Nigerian fellow selling chicken.

I just get impressed when I hear non-native speakers of English say stuff like, "Actually, I'm a psuedo-African."

1:56 PM  
Blogger Jinxy said...

I always go with "Blue Steel".

10:04 PM  
Blogger Jinxy said...

P.S. Does that girl have a cigarette burn on her right shoulder?

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm REALLY missing out aint I.....

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home